Friday, August 28, 2009

Things I wish I was, but am not...

Always wished I was one of these, too.
A week at Lake Powell with four children in tow left me with several ponderous thoughts, one being Man, I annoy myself. Am I the only one with this problem? With this deep thought in mind, I compiled a list late one night of all the things I wish I was, but unfortunately am not...
  1. Easy Going. I'm always spazzing out about something, whether it be the possibility of children drowning at the Lake or crossing the street safely, or that mean-looking dog whose head brushes the top of his fence. You know, the one I have to pass when I take a walk in my neighborhood and it snarls at me, sizing me up for a little backyard doggie barbeque. My sister just younger than I manages to keep her cool in almost every situation. I think I inherited her portion of the freak-out genes.
  2. More Sensitive. I hate hurting people's feelings, but somehow I manage to regularly, usually through the above stated freak-out genes. Maybe I should try passing it off as inherent to my make-up. I have a medical condition. You get on my nerves and they freak out.
  3. Decisive. Oh, I can decide alright, and even stick to it like nobody's business. My problem is I second guess myself to kingdom come. At least, I think I do...
  4. In Shape. What? You mean it takes more than putting on workout clothes to get rid of flab?
  5. Daring. Deep water, dark spaces, empty streets, wildlife, stingrays swimming between my legs and trying to suck my flesh...all send me crying for mama (or in the last instance, using hubs as a todem pole and about pulling his shorts off in the process). I am the world's biggest wimp.
  6. Self Disciplined. I love sleep, I truly do. Every time I lay my head on a pillow I think, I really should do this more often.
  7. Patient. I've managed to lose half of my hearing with each child. I figure I am a good negative one in the hearing department. It has increased my patience, but somehow I still hear those high-pitched sounds that make dogs howl, and I howl along with the best of them.
  8. Whimsical. Oh, how I long to be less practical. The Whimsy Fairy passed right over me when she was sprinkling her magic dust. I got not a speck.
  9. Organized. My garage and craft room will be navigitable. Some day. At least before I die.

A list of all I'm not.

Hmm. That's gonna get me through the day.

My friend once posted on her blog things she liked about herself and I found it disconcerting, although I don't quite know why. I can be blind to the great things about myself because the annoying things are so glaringly obvious. So it's off to work I go...

By the end of my life I will be the most laid back, kind yet firm-minded, well-rested, meditating-in-a-Zen-garden skydiver you've ever known. It won't even be funny how low my bloodpressure will be.* Ahh...I'm relaxing already.

*Probably because I'll be dead.